He retorted, “Are you
serious?”
My reply, “Are YOU
serious?”
He grunted, “That is not my job.”
I go into a huff, “I am not saying this is YOUR job. It is
all of our jobs to keep this beach clean.”
With that, he took the trash reluctantly.
What is with the lack of responsibility to our mother
earth? Why when we see trash or foreign
objects we complacently pretend to not see it or worry about it? Why do smokers
feel it is OK to just throw a cigarette onto the ground? What a disgusting habit. It is as if we have
no connection to this land, to this earth.
What do these people think are going to happen? Where will this trash go
that we litter? Just disappear? I was so
frustrated that a lifeguard, who spends the most time on the beach, would be so
complacent. I also assumed the lifeguard
would be a local, who would feel more ownership to that land, instead of an
out-of-towner who comes to the beach for the weekend and then goes back home to
their cities.
I was laying on the beach, relaxing and reading a book, when
overhead I look up to see a plane dragging a banner for a Gieco commercial. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? At the freaking beach,
really??? Are we able to ever disconnect….when companies force ads into our
face, into our minds? Honestly, the last thing I am thinking about while
relaxing on the beach is my insurance.
My grandpa, again who I mentioned originated from Savannah
mentioned that he would walk the beach and pass all of 25 people. Now the beach is overcrowded with people,
litter and consumerism.
Luckily, the weekend passed and the beach was left for the
vacationer’s staying on the island and the locals. The beach cleared out and became the beach I
remembered. The beach is truly a
magical, inspirational place for me. As
I walk alongside the shore line, I noticed the ocean changing colors like a
chameleon. At some points it’s a deep
blue and others it will reap a sickly green color. A few times I woke up for the
sunrise and the tips of the waves had a purple iridescent color, crashing to
the shore that shimmered gold in the reflection of the sun.
After an intense 5 days at Flipside, the week-long vacation
on the Atlantic Ocean was just what I needed to decompress. The first night, once all of my family showed
up, was a full moon. My cousin, my
sister and I went to play on the beach at midnight. The moon was so bright, casting the most
beautiful shadows onto the sand. I
danced with my shadow and my hoop, feeling as though I was re-enacting a scene
from Peter Pan, living in never ever land, a magical place where we could reach
our inner child and play with no worries. No one else that the eye could see
was on that beach but us; open space to frolic and dance as wide and big as I
wanted. So magical.
To be able to have the time you want for yourself is a
rarity. To be able to wake up each
morning, have a free day and decide what to do as the day unfolds. My mom and I spent 3 consecutive days doing
partner stretching and a little bit of yoga and acroyoga on the beach. I ran the length of the beach and back, flew
a kite with my uncle, and read 2 books.
What glory!
One of the books I read was called, “Ishmael: An Adventure
of the Mind and Spirit,” a recommendation given to me by a friend at Flipside. Please read this Wikipedia summary of the
book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishmael_(novel)
Basically, in summary, the book illustrates a common myth that
is embedded into our culture that man is the center of the world, which stems from
the story of creation. The world was
given to humans to conquer and rule so we are now enacting this story and therefore
destroying this world instead of co-existing in it like all the other living
beings on this earth, which do not believe that this world was made for them as
humans believe. Because we are not
following the laws of nature, we are acting unnaturally, and therefore destruction
is inevitable and will wipe out not only our own kind, but every kind around
us. I highly recommend the book, which
is a quick read. I had finished within 2
days.
This got my thinking about my last post, moving through the
Chakra’s in order to become a divine being.
As a human, do I really want to be god-like? Taking the classical story
of creation with Adam and Eve, it was eating from the fruit of the Tree of
Knowledge that got us casted out of the garden.
In the book, the goal is to save the world and the author urges the
readers to “spit out the forbidden fruit.”
It was when we ate the fruit that we thought we understood good and
evil, who should live and who should die.
Because we feel we have this knowledge, we have control over our
lives. By having this control and certainty,
we are sacrificing the balance of nature. So in my quest to be divine, am I perpetuating
a cycle to be like the gods and therefore helping to destroy earth. What should humans roles really be on this
earth?
The contrary theory of creation is that we came from matter
that was from the slimes of the ocean and we tell ourselves creation stopped
once man was created. The book argues
that man has a hard time accepting that man came from the same slime that flies
and jellyfish and lions came from. Again,
the focus on creation revolving around man, thinking this world was here for
man, given to man. Because man feels the
world was given to him, man believe we can do what we please to it. While
walking the beach with my cousin, he had said that we have only explored 1/3 of
the oceans and that we know more about outer space than we do about the oceans.
And here I was reading a theory of creation stemming from the oceans and we
have such little knowledge. We put all
these resources into our society, yet we do not even understand where we
originated from. This huge hole, a gap
of knowledge, the book argues this is why we do not understand the right way to
live. What is our purpose? How do we be
complete and fully human beings and take the role humans are supposed to serve
on this earth without understanding our purpose or our origins.
The world is rapidly changing. Many changes in a positive direction and in
many ways it is not. Just like my
experience on the Tybee, on one hand the beach was overcrowded, littered, and forced
consumerism. On the other hand, my
grandfather recounts how back when he was a boy, black families were not
allowed onto the beach and now the beach is now shared between white and black
families today. My grandfather was
completely disturbed by the movie, “The Help” which takes place in a southern
society, much like he grew up. He hated
it because it is an accurate account of what it was like for him growing up and
how society treated black people. Back
then, this was the norm, this is what was taught to the children, embedded into
each generation that this way of life was right. It never occurred to my grandfather and his
family that this was inhumane. Nowadays,
my grandfather seems embarrassed by his bigotry thoughts and tries to
sarcastically make fun or avoid them completely. Just as it was once believed that the black
community was second rate, a shift of consciousness allowed us to progress. A change in communal thought is possible!
Our society is over 13 billion years old. Sometimes I get frustrated that this shift of
consciousness is not happening fast enough.
But then I think, wow, 13 billion years is OLD, and since the 60’s, when
this shift supposedly started, it has only been 50 years. I hope and sometimes even plead that I see
this change happen within my life time.
People argue that if there isn’t change fast enough, we will destroy
this earth faster. Today while going
through my flow of the day, I came across The Magic Love Bus: http://www.magiclovebus.org/
This tribe of people are moving across the U.S. in hopes to
spread awareness and consciousness. They
are trying to connect with spiritual minded people. However, these people are already aware. How do you reach the masses and actually have
them hear you? While on this journey, they are interviewing people they come across
to show that this movement of consciousness is not just happening in one part
of the country, but all over. I was
asked to interview and answer questions such as, “What is your ideal society?
What would you change? Do you think
anything will happen in 2012” Questions like these, that I felt I really couldn’t
answer- what expertise was I to say how us humans should live? Are these really
the questions we should really be asking ourselves anyhow? It didn’t really
feel like a conversation, but him asking me my expertise, which I had prefaced before
the filming I did not want it to be framed in such a way. Anyway, well if his movie every makes it
mainstream and I end up in it- well, I hope I don’t sound as ridiculous as I
felt. We are in a revolution, and between technology of the internet, a spread of consciousness from people such as Charles Eisenstein, books like Ishmael, festivals such as Burning Man and Rainbow Gatherings, and acts like the Magic Love Bus, change is bound to happen naturally, and hopefully in the right direction.
No comments:
Post a Comment