Many of you do not know me as Sway. Sway is my alter ego- my internet and music fest identity. I was at Electric Forest and believe it out not was named Sway by 2 strangers, one in which went by the name of Zod. Yes, it is goofy and I get all sorts of response when I introduce myself as Sway. I have even recently introduced myself to Ryan Gosling as Sway. Zod had named me Sway as I was “swaying” in a hammock in the Forest. Once I had mentioned it to a friend, he instantly said that was fitting by the way I danced and refused to call me anything else. At first I found it silly, but slowly Sway stuck. Sure enough, I was introducing myself as Sway and embracing the nick name and trying to embody this new identity. A name which is an identifier to that person’s being, is a way to be remembered. At a festival you meet so many people, how do you remember someone out of a crowd? Often times people will make up mnemonic devices to be more memorable. When I dance, I sway. I just love when the notes move my body and the best feeling is though I am dancing with the wind.
Fun Fun Fun Fest (FFF6) was one of those once in a lifetime experiences. A friend got me a media wristband so I was able to go back stage and in the photo pit. Seeing the backstage and up close view was an experience I believe every die hard music fan must experience. I had so many emotional experiences that I hope to remember. Thank goodness I started this blog to try to document that.
Seeing a show from back stage or up front puts things in an entirely different perspective. I have seen Blonde Redhead 2 other times before this weekend, but never would I have notice that the female vocalist had her shoes unzipped. The lead singer of Joy Formidable had sun burn on her arms and the female vocalist of Purity Ring did headstands before performing on stage.
Highlight of Friday Night: FourTetI truly believe Four Tet knows how to play people’s heart and soul. He adds a new sound in as soon as the thought even crosses your mind. The crowd is dancing and bobbing different paces to their own sound they pick out of the song. Just as he gets you going, he slows down the pace and slows down your body. People’s body heat warm up my legs, but I reach to the sky and feel the cool air. Four Tet’s feet subtlety dance back and forth on the stage in front of his turntable.
Surprise Act: Picture Plane- Didn’t know anything about them and they were great!
Basically everyone I saw on Saturday was amazing and absolutely worth seeing live. Purity Ring had a homemade instrument and put on a better show at the festival than their late night show, in which case they lip synched and faked out the entire set due to a bad sound system at the after party venue. T Birds and the Breaks as always put every bit of soul and funk into their set. This is an Austin based band and very much worth checking out. Tune Yards was so fun and inspiration. People in the crowd were face painting and I was so inspired by the set that I let a stranger paint my face! Lykke Li had a beautiful set with strips of black cloth blowing in the wind, matching her black dress that was equally flowy. I was expecting more high energy dance music, but she ended up playing a lot from her newest album which is a little more mellow.
Saturday Day Highlight: The Joy FormidableThis girl (Ritzy Bryan, the lead-singer) can ROCK it. Ritzy embodies a rockstar statue. Throwing her guitar at the ground and completely being overcome with emotion on stage.
Saturday Night Highlight: Girls
Electric cello and violin… need I say more. Can’t go wrong with a band with these instruments. I put Girls as my highlight as I did not expect them to be one of the better acts and they made it up there.
Low Light: The last time Spoon played was last year at ACL and this was their first show of 2011. It was unfortunate that FFF6 was having major sound issues with multiple sets. The mic was too low and then when that was finally corrected, the overall sound was too quiet. Sunday Highlight: Austra
Words like choral and religious were the types of adjectives that I would describe the genre of music. I had an emotional experience with Austra. I was literally tearing during the set it was so beautiful. The back-up singers moved their bodies as if they were able to translate the musical notes to body movements. Each band member expressed themselves through such style in clothing and seemed to have a very cohesive image. Although there was a random bass player, who seemed to stick out like a sore thumb. Austra stole the show on Sunday.
Diplo had people throw bottles of water to the crowd. Bottles were flying overhead and some bottles were exploding with water. Soon enough, everyone was hyped up and exploding their water over the crowd’s heads. Every elevation of music, had an explosion of water flying every which way. After the show he came out to take pictures with his fans.
Although the festival is over, the music is still coming through Austin.
Next show: Phantogram!!
No comments:
Post a Comment