Sunday, November 20, 2011

Life is Dynamic

Austin is oozing of creativity.  I am used to people asking what I do.  In Austin, people ask, “How do you express yourself?”   It makes me think, “How do I express myself” “What would I be best at to creatively express myself?” “Am I expressing myself in the best creative way?”  I have been on a “re-discover yourself” journey.  Everywhere I turn in Austin, you will find the most unbelievable hooper and then you will find the person who is just trying singing or rock wrapping for the first time.  A city of all young, creative and expressive individuals, we are all trying to find our place in the world and who we are best.

When you see talent, you want to be that talented as well.  I always think, “I can do that.” I wish I had the time to learn to rock wrap, to hoop, to sing, to write.  Our time is not infinite and to be able to find the true skill that you can completely lose yourself in takes effort! (On a side note, I rock wrapped 4 pieces today and am wearing one right now!) When I look around to the people that surround me here in Austin sometimes I can feel as though I am the least creative person.

Yesterday I went to an event called, “A Day in the Park.” This event was a vessel for creativity.  I woke up in such a good mood.  My windows were open and the breeze blew my curtains open so I could smell autumn. Yes, smell autumn.  I am pretty sure everyone knows what autumn smells like; crisp, fresh as though it had just rained (although it pretty much hasn’t rained in Austin for 8 months).  I walked to Zilker Park from my house through Town Lake Trails.  I watched athletes and people work out, children and dogs run around. Once I got to the event, DJs and bands were playing, people were juggling, hooping, rock wrapping, reiki (http://www.reiki.org/faq/whatisreiki.html), chalk murals and art. I just love that Austin allows such creative events to occur without stifling creativity with politics. 

I realized appreciation is just as much of a creative skill as the artist skills.  I had such a wonderful weekend of connecting with strangers, and appreciating my surroundings.  This past week I had a massage.  The massage therapist put on Pandora, Zero 7 channel and it was the first musical massage I have ever had.  Her fingers felt as though they were dancing across my skin, moving my inside body. I could not have enjoyed it more. I went home and relaxed to more music, tea, and hookah under my blanket on my front porch. 

For Thanksgiving this year, I was invited to a backyard friendsgiving party. I got to talking to a girl I had just met, Erica.  It was such an inspiring conversation and it still amazes me that people can share such a connection without any previous interactions with one another. We came to the conclusion that everyone’s different backgrounds make this world dynamic.  I come from a stereotypical family, 2 kids, married parents, and a dog.  Erica, however, had an amazing family story to tell.  Her siblings who were 14 years younger would accidently call her mom at a park and she would receive dirty looks from the neighborhood mothers.  While living in Italy, her mother married a man from Pakistan, at a time in her life that she was weak and unconfident.  He asked her to marry him and after having 2 children with the man, realized this was not the life she wanted.  In a matter of 2 weeks, she filed for divorce, moved out of Italy to America, and applied for a job where she met the love of her life, who she is married to, to this day.  It is that example that makes me believe there is a higher being that looks out for us, showing us the way when we most need it.

When I first moved to Austin my original housing arrangements fell through at the last minute.  I decided to expedite my move and come to Austin earlier in order to find a place to live.  The night before my move, after going through an unknowing 48hr anxiety attack that landed me seeking medical attention, I was emailing craigslist poster’s.  I got off the plane, finished the day of work, and the first place I went to visit was the place I ended up.  After hours of previously looking with a realtor before moving, when I really needed a place, it worked out in my best interest.  My roommate is now my family here and we have so much fun together.  I have always felt a stronger presence in this world.  Whether it be god, karma, or some other higher being… whatever you want to call it, there is something out there. For a while I thought I had some bad karma.  A couple months ago a broke my wrist after a stranger yelled at me not to break my wrist earlier that night. It is strange coincidences that have to make you wonder. 

I missed posting last week because I had taken a weekend trip to New Orleans, Louisiana, or as the locals call it, NOLA. It was the first time I had been to the city.  NOLA was so alive, people and music everywhere.  On my last night in NOLA, we went to Frenchman St, bar after bar with live music (but not so crazy as Bourbon’s clubby vibes).  We went into a bar called Mason, where an R&B band called MojoFlo was playing.  Whenever I discover something exceptional that is not so well known, I feel like I have just come across some unknown treasure.  In fact, I have been obsessive with discovering new, unknown music.  Below is a list of music videos or music that I found while internet surfing that I thought was cool.

http://www.paw-tracks.com/

For the Austinites:
Tonight I am at coffeeshop Dolce Vita, a café and gelato shop.  I am sitting outside… yes, its November 20th and its beautiful out. The shop is small, quant and cute.  Dim lighting so not the best for reading, but a calming atmosphere.  My view isn’t the best of a parking lot, but great vibes with small tables of people and good chit chat.  Great food menu, although I didn’t get anything other than the best Chai Tea I have ever had.  I would come back- 9. 

No comments:

Post a Comment