I was drawn to a tent set back on a hill in which 5 people were wrapped up in blankets, mediating with OM, synchronizing the sounds of their voices and cuddling for body warmth. No one had warned me that in the month of October in Austin it could be high 70s during the day and the temperature could plummet close to 40 degree difference. I laid my head on Robin’s stomach, and listened to the soft, comforting OM. Outside of the tent the disco ball really made the tree branches and leaves look as though they were burning. I stayed under the blankets, cuddled up to Calendula and talking with whoever entered the tent for several hours. The question was brought up, why in this environment are people are so much more able to connect with others, people are friendlier and more open. But when you leave a place like this everyone has their boundaries and walls put up. It’s true. I have been to several festivals and there is something about those festival bubble that allow people to really be more approachable. But when the festival ends, you’ll find those same people filling up their gas tanks at a nearby gas station without any acknowledgement. Is it possible to open yourself up to any and all strangers in normal society walls? When and what is appropriate when you interrupt someone’s personal space out in public? Finally when Amelia said break free of your cocoon, I was able to leave the warmth and move to the dance floor. What a Halloween.
Last weekend a close friend shared the break up anniversary weekend with me by ending a long term relationship of her own. Since a year earlier, I went through a break up, she asked me to address how to healthily move on from a break up. I cannot say that I have any expertise. Like myself, this girl is very fast paced in life; always on the move and doing things and activities. My only insight during a break up as this is to keep in mind that you must slow down and take time to reflect. I would say for the past year I have been “on the go.” This did not allow me to actually reflect and grow from a break up. The one positive thing about a break up is that you can learn from that relationship. A year ago, I promised myself that I was going to work on bettering myself. When you are constantly doing, doing, doing you can get so caught up on the doing and the motions of life. It then becomes a realization at some point that the things you are doing may bring you happiness, but you may not actually be happy. There is a very confusing distinction because while you are doing those activities, you will feel happiness. But you have to consistently ask yourself “are you actually happy?”
Here are my growth goals that I will continue to update:
Take a creative writing course
Take voice lessons
Train for a half marathonCoffee Shop Blurb- Where I am (for the Austin folks)
- Epoch. Lamar and North Loop.
Oval, oblong shades hang from the ceilings creating wonderful, warm ambience. Along side the lamps you will find outlets hanging from the ceilings. Temperature and music at good level. Music choice very good- thank goodness since I forgot my headphones at home. Board games available and good chatter sounds so you do not feel you must remain quiet. Iced vanilla latte tastes like a milkshake and thin crust guiche pizza ( red sauce, spinach, green chillies, sun-dried tomoatoes, roated garlic, mozzarella and goat cheese) was a perfect snack size. Crowded and hard to find a place to sit and only one couch. Open late- 24 hours. Rating: 8
Talk to you next Sunday.
I agree with everything in the last paragragh before your growth goals...I do, do, do. Those things make me happy but am I actually happy with my life and what I am doing? I like this post...thanks
ReplyDelete